BBQ Season brings on these lovies! - Mediterranean Turkey Burgers
These turkey burgers are fabulous fresh off the grill or cold the next day for lunch. Great item for meal prepping; high-protein patties will fill you up on good stuff without weighting you down.
3/4 cup reduced-fat (2%) Greek Yogurt [for those not using dairy, substitute Cashewgurt]
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped, divided use
1/4 tsp. dried dill weed
1 1/2 lbs. 93% lean ground turkey [organic lean turkey]
1 medium red onion, thinly slice half, finely chop other half, divided use
1/4 cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes [optional]
6 Tbsp. Feta Cheese, crumbled [buy block and cut into small squares to avoid caking preservatives in already crumbled cheese]
1 tsp. dried Oregano, organic [oregano makes these burgers bomb, so more is encouraged!]
1/2 cup whole grain bread crumbs [if gluten intolerant: use organic, gluten free rolled oats]
1 large organic Egg
2 large handfuls of fresh organic baby spinach, chopped
1 cucumber, sliced
Sea Salt & ground black pepper, to taste [Ted & Barney's is great too!]
1. Make yogurt sauce - combine yogurt, lemon juice, 1 clove garlic & dill in a small glass jar with lid to shake and store in refrigerator.
2. Preheat Grill [Treager grills are amazing due to their indirect heat and wood pellet flavor]
3. In large bowl combine ground turkey, chopped red onion, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, feta cheese, remaining 1 clove garlic, oregano, bread crumbs, and egg. Add Salt and Pepper if desired. make well - use your clean hands - why not!?!
4. Form turkey into approx 6 patties.
5. Place on grill for about 5 minutes on each side, or until no longer pink in the middle.
Serve patties with red onion slices and cucumber slices and a side of the yogurt sauce for dipping or drizzle over the top. Additional options to add to meal is placing burgers on a bed of greens and or baked sweet potato chunks or hashbrowns as a side.